The first volume of the Journal of the Geographical Institute "Jovan Cvijić" SASA was published in January 1951 by the Geographical Institute of the Serbian Academy of Sciences in Belgrade. It was founded and edited by geographer Petar S. Jovanović, full professor and member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences. In the following years and decades of work, the Journal has been published in regular intervals, in Serbian, French, and English, and presented the empirical and theoretical results of the research in the fields of physical geography, social geography, regional geography, cartography, and related sciences and scientific disciplines.
Today, the Journal is a modern, interdisciplinary scientific publication which is regularly published three times a year, and which enables a free access and the publishing of scientific articles free of charge. The complete content of the Journal is available in an open access mode, and can be downloaded from the website of the Journal, and used for educational and non-commercial purposes. The submission of articles does not involve article processing charges (APCs) or submission charges. Journal’s alternative titles and abbreviations are: Зборник радова Географског института "Јован Цвијић" САНУ / Zbornik radova: Geografski institut "Jovan Cvijić" SANU / J. Geogr. Inst. Jovan Cvijić SASA. The bilingual version of the Journal’s name (in Serbian-Cyrillic and English) can be seen on the cover page but the Journal’s content is exclusively in English.